Saturday, February 16, 2008

Ellen Klages' The Green Glass Sea

Ms. Klages will be one of the authors speaking at A Night of Science Fiction on April 11.

I just finished this book and I really enjoyed it. The setting is Los Alamos during World War II but what makes this book different is that its a story of two young girls. Dewey has only her father, Jimmy, to watch out for her. He's a scientist on the Project. Suze has both parents but finds herself ridiculed by the other kids. Eventually, they have to share a room and try to get along. Both girls are very well-drawn, we can all identify with that outsider feeling. The war pervades their lives and an accident changes Dewey's life forever. As an adult reader, I felt the impending doom via the dates on the chapter headings. Though a children's book I think this is a good read for any age.

Please join me at the author panel on Friday, April 11 at 7pm in the meeting room at Martha Riley Library, 1501 Pleasant Grove.

No comments: